Suspected Montevideo shooter had history of protection orders
MONTEVIDEO — A man who authorities believe shot and wounded a woman Tuesday in Montevideo before turning the gun on himself was scheduled to be in court next week on two separate charges of violating an order for protection filed by another woman in a different county.
David Dale Schwartz, 55, of Foley, died at the scene of the shooting, which occurred shortly before noon Tuesday.
Montevideo Police Chief Adam Christopher said the preliminary investigation indicates Schwartz shot Angela Marie Haugerud, 41, at her rental home at 103 South Fourth Street.
Haugerud was found on the front steps of her home with two separate gunshot wounds and is currently in the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis.
Schwartz was found dead inside the house.
Christopher said it's believed Haugerud and Schwartz had dated in the past, but Christopher did not believe they were in a relationship during the time of the shooting.
Haugerud reportedly lived alone in the apartment and Schwartz was currently living in a camper at a trailer park in Montevideo.
According to court records, Schwartz appeared June 29 and July 3 in Benton County on separate misdemeanor domestic abuse charges for allegedly violating an order for protection that had been filed by a woman with close ties to Schwartz.
He had pleaded not guilty to the first charge in June and was scheduled to appear for a pre-trial hearing in both cases July 17 at the Benton County Courthouse in Foley.
Schwartz had been released on $1,000 conditional bail or $3,000 unconditional bail following his court appearances.
The court dismissed the charges Wednesday afternoon.
Christopher said the investigation into the shooting is continuing and evidence is being processed, including the testing of the weapon that was used.
He said Haugerud had undergone surgery, and once she is physically able, police hope to talk to her about the incident.
Calls to HCMC to inquire about Haugerud's current condition were not returned.